------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tip: Unzip!

My friend, the Lovely Lizzy, asked if I had a quick way to unzip (extract) downloaded files. My process was one less step then hers, but it was still extracting one file at a time and needing a special program for RAR files.

Not anymore! I found a cool tool that quickly extracts several downloaded files all at once, including zip or RAR. I love it! This utility is FREE (one of my favorite words!); you can check out ExtractNow HERE. Of course, before you download anything on your computer, make sure you feel comfortable that there won't be any negative impacts.

I learned about this on Ginger Scraps blog. You can read how she uses the tool HERE ~ I'm nowhere near that organized! You can adjust the settings to make them work for you. For example, I originally set Destination (under the Settings tab) to "automatically extract archives into" a designated folder ~ but decided I like a little more control on where I download files, sometimes creating a new folder at the time of extraction. The key thing is: no matter what settings you have, this tool can potentially save you a LOT of time extracting so you have more time to scrap!

If you know of other resources, have other tips to share, or questions I might be able to help with, leave me a comment or send me an e-mail message (address at top of home page).

5 comments:

Rose said...

I use jZip, it works great, was free also, and I can select several files at once using shift or CTRL and click extract, and it extracts them all to their own folder in a destination of my choosing. I just have to sit and keep clicking Extract. I love it, and it does RAR files too which is great!

Carol said...

Hi Maurine!
You have a blog!
I recognized your face from the lovely comments you leave. I've put you on my Reader now :)
LOVE Strawberry Nirvana.
Thanks!
juno
xx
junosplace.wordpress.com
cardsbycarol.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, really useful.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog design! How did you change the "older posts" thing on the bottom and put there a picture? I am having a tough time with blogger! :)

Karin said...

Thank you very much for this tip; this program saves me hours.